And, here are a few words from those that attended the "Barn Dance/Camp Out/Single-shot Paintball Reenactment" that I hope I never forget.
Lessons from the young-ins...
- "Food tastes better when you're outside and with friends."
- "Black licorice tastes pretty good when you're in a costume."
- "A party is so much more fun with a box of kittens."
Wisdom from the women folk...
- "We need to dance more often!!!"
Thoughts from students (of all ages)...
- "History is fun and easy to learn when you have a great teacher."
- "History can be painful to remember."
- "War is so complicated; even the Civil War was about so much more than slavery."
- "In a real war, shots like these would mean an amputation at best and most would be fatal."
- "War is especially painful for wives and mothers!"
- "Everything is more fun with children."
A few words on fashion...
- "If we dressed like 'ladies', we wouldn't have to worry about skin cancer."
and surprising insights overheard from the men folk...
- "Girls are so much prettier in dresses."
- "It would sure be nice if those skirts would come back in style."
I have written a general summary of the sequence of events for our party at our NorthMeetsSouth150Years blog.
You might also enjoy this blog post related to the Battle of Gettysburg:
Other links you might enjoy:
Uncle Tom's Cabin (audio book), at LibriVox, where all recordings are free and in the public domain
Killer Angels (free download), the book that inspired the movie Gettysburg