Pages

"Write them on your kitchen cupboards..."

"kitchen cupboards"?   -- This is my own paraphrased application of "write them on the doorframes of your house".

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates."  Deuteronomy  6:6-9 


A couple years ago, I decided to take this literally. 


I wrote phrases of verses above the door frames throughout the house as reminders:  
Give Thanks,
Pray Continually,
Do Justly,
Love Mercy,
Walk Humbly 

I found those verses so motivating, and since my husband, the carpenter, had talked about replacing the laminate cabinets that came with our home with hardwood, I decided to write the "fruit of the Spirit" (Galatians 5:22-23) on the nine upper cabinets, knowing that if they didn't "turn out", we'd pull them out eventually anyway.



Later, I scribed a verse for each inside the cupboards with the intention of later painting corresponding pictures with the kids, and here is the final product...  

Love
Joy
Peace
Patience
Kindness
Goodness
Faithfulness
Gentleness
and
Self Control

It has been helpful when the kids are unloading the dishwasher and ask where something belongs; I can say, "in the 'joy' cupboard".   If a guest asks, "Where are your glasses ?"  I respond,  "in 'kindness'".

But, if a child is speaking harshly to their sibling, I tell them, "go read the 'gentleness' verses to me, please", or "I'd like you to copy the 'self-control' verses."


Most of all, I appreciate the constant reminder through out the day to abide in Christ, as a branch remains in the vine, and to allow the Holy Spirit to grow His fruit in me.