Pages

Clean

Everyday I wash away the grime...

I shed layers that cover and hide,
and stand before God as I came into this world.

"Naked I came from my mothers womb, naked I will return..." (Job 1:21)

no hair-ties, ear-rings, or wedding-ring...

"For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it."  (1 Timothy 6:7)

I take everything off as I recite...

"Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account."  (Hebrews 4:13)

 I step into the shower as into His presence.

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."  (Psalm 139:23-24)

Head to toe, I ask the Lord to examine me and cleanse me, inside and out. 

"REVIVAL" - couldn't resist trying this shampoo and cnditioner

A bed-time routine began many years ago when my grandma gave me a face cleanser called, "Daily Revival"Washing my face, I'd pray, "Lord, lifter of my countenance, I need 'revival', fill me with Your abundant life!  May others see Your glory shining through me and know that I have met with You and have been changed."

It wasn't long before I added a prayer as I brushed my teeth, "Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord, keep watch over the door of my lips.  (Psalm 141:3)  Forgive me for the harsh words (lying, exaggerations, gossip, angry and bitter words, etc) I have spoken.  Use my mouth to bless.  May my tongue only praise you and encourage others."

Quickly this evolved into a shower routine:

Washing my hair:  "Lord, renew my mind.  Forgive me for anxious, wandering thoughts.  Fix my mind on You, and inspire me with greater understanding of who You are."

As I wash my arms, "Lord, forgive me for the selfish way I keep people at arms reach or push them aside.  Help me to have open arms for my family and those that You bring into my life that need to be held and served."

I love to use an apricot scrub when I wash my hands and feet and pray about tenderly serving others and going where the Lord would lead me.

I confess my sins and pray for a pure heart as I suds up my body; smelly arm pits are a great reminder to confess stinky sins that hinder intimate fellowship with others.

You get the idea...

It is a wonderful thing to see the sudsy water swirling down the drain and remember that confessed sins are gone, long gone"As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us."  (Psalm 103:12)  I could not get them back if I wanted to.  I am forgiven.

I love to sing in the shower, starting my worship-set with:
"Lord Jesus, I long to be perfectly whole... wash me and I will be whiter than snow."
and
"Purify my heart... Your holiness is my desire."

As I dry off, I usually end with,
"Clean before my Lord I stand, and in me, not one blemish does He see..."

This verse once hung in the bathroom:
"Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart."  (1 Peter 1:22) 

A reminder that,
"Now you are clean through the word..." (John 15:3)
changes the way I live! 

TIP - Try laminating a copy of your favorite chapter of the Bible.  With a bit of water, the plastic will stick to the shower walls.  I memorize a verse while I shave my legs. Then while the conditioner soaks, I close my eyes, let the hot water beat down on my back, and meditate on what I have been reading.


 FYI - I have an entirely different tub routine focused less on confession and more on relaxing in His presence, praying for creative inspiration, and asking for a greater ability to soak in and understand the scripture.

Use these ideas as a spring board to make your Tub-Time a spiritually cleansing experience.