Pages

3 Keys to CONFIDENCE

Do you wish you felt more confident
in your career,
ministry,
parenting,
homeschooling,
extra-curricular activities,
personal hobbies,
volunteering,
church commitments,
neighborhood involvement,
or physical areas (of health, exercise, appearance)?

Edmund Blair Leighton (public domain)

When I compare the places where I feel confidence and insecurity, the contrast makes evident what I am lacking in some areas of my life.

1.  A DIVINE PURPOSE
A sense of divine calling causes me to be keenly aware that more is at stake than my pride and comfort.  This motivates me to keep moving forward rather than cower or compromise under fear or false guilt.  The more specific and certain I am that what I am pursuing is of the Lord, the less I second guess myself and the more determined I am to not be deterred, regardless of obstacles or inconveniences.

2.  A CLEAR GOAL
When I have a clearly defined mission, I focused on the desired end, and am therefore more decisive and less vulnerable to comparison or manipulation.  The more detailed my plans, outlined and written down, the less distracted I am by what others are doing and the less their opinions matter to me. 

3. A PURE MOTIVE
Nothing steals my confidence like selfishness and pride.  What may start out as a feeling of superiority, based upon a successful performance or shallow victory, always ends with the nagging doubts of vanity.  When I become preoccupied with myself, I am setting myself up for insecurity because I have to defend or maintain the status or image I have attained.  My peace and joy slips away when I try to impress people or seek personal gain, because at some level I have compromised my integrity and chosen the superficial over the eternal.

HOW can I find my DIVINE PURPOSE,
have a CLEAR GOAL, 

and maintain a PURE MOTIVE?

SEEKING THE LORD for CONFIDENCE
As I seek the Lord, He faithfully gives me insight each area of my life where I feel confusion, uncertainty, or a lack of confidence.  Through prayer, I ask God for direction to know what is best in prioritizing my goals and how to best use my time and resources.  I pray for insight to know His will, His plans and purposes, for my life.  I also ask for discernment to understand my own heart.

I need wisdom beyond my own, and as I delight myself in the Lord, He to gives me direction, passion in my heart for His kingdom, and His perspective on my life. When I am quiet before Him, I see my goals, my purpose, and my motives clearly; then I can sincerely reaffirm that knowing Him and obeying His will is my utmost desire and His approval is the only praise I seek.

ON A PERSONAL NOTE:  Today (02-02-2013), was another prayer day for me.  I set aside this day to be alone, seek the Lord, think, and pray.  Though I still have two areas where I am needing specific guidance and must keep seeking and waiting patiently for His answer and His timing, He has already given me peace.  I no longer feel pressured to give a hurried answer or rush into a commitment.

Dear Seeker,
Do you feel over-committed?
Do you feel guilty about doing too much or not enough?
Are you easily manipulated and find it difficult to say "no"?
Do you feel insecure or struggle with comparing yourself with others and they are doing?
Take each issue before the Lord.  
Let Him give you the perspective and courage that you need.

"Do not throw away your confidence..."  Hebrews 10:35
...the LORD will be your confidence..." Proverbs 3:26