Pages

An Empty Room


 "...What do you have that you did not receive?..."



this house
this child
this bed
this husband
this barn
this body
this mirror
this face
this bookcase
this mind




new sofa
tearing seam
disappointment
customer service
refund
waiting for the pick-up

Week after week, as I sat on comfy leather couches, feeling like I was borrowing someone else's furniture.

snowy roads
remote location,
...months pass

and I remember: 

Everything in my home belongs to God; 
"no-thing" I "own is really "mine", 
just on loan for this lifetime.


"For who makes you different from anyone else? ..."

this wealth
this education
this style
this personality
this talent
this gift
this blog


"...And if you did receive it, 
why do you boast as though you did not?"  
1 Corinthians 4:7

this pride
this insecurity
this vanity
this self-absorption
this defensiveness
this comparison
this jealousy

The only thing of "mine" that was ever truly "mine" was my sin.
And, even that is no longer mine...
I made a trade.

"God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God."  2 Corinthians 5:21

What a trade!  My sin for his righteousness.

Things of this world, fall away from me.  
I am eternal, made for more than this clinging-temporal clutter.

empty living room
still full
with wood floors
blankets
fireplace
pictures

Every gift that remains, be a gift to me and to others... a blessing, a tool.
Lord, may all that is "Yours" (that this world would call "mine") bring You glory.


"Swiffer Floor Hockey", my floors have never been so clean!