Pages

A Beautiful Day for a Walk

The kids and I had a flat tire on the way to church this morning in a stretch on a back road with no cell coverage. So, we buttoned our coats and started the hike back home.

After a few minutes of walking, my mind wandered back to my childhood and the first weeks living in Germany without a car. My parents bundled us up for those January hikes to church from our home near the main base in Darmstadt to the chapel where my father was to preach on Ernest Ludwig Kaserne.


Like a line of ducks... Mama, Papa, and 5 little ones.

Now, I'm the Mama asking, "What shall we sing to shorten this mile?"

"Dashing through the snow, in a one horse open sleigh..." Boy, I wish I had a sleigh. There will be no short cut over a snowy field in Sunday Shoes.

Skirt and heels, dress coat and gloves. I feel I've stepped out of time. For centuries families have traipsed through the snow to meet to worship...

My husband should be here any minute to pick us up... Oh, the blessings of modern conveniences! Two cars, three services. But, there is something beautiful about walking the miles in the crisp air over frozen ground with my children, cheering each other on, "We're half way there! You guys are doing great! Isn't it fun to have an adventure?"

No comments:

Post a Comment