Pages

Healing - From the Inside Out

Did you know Americans spend over $200 million each year on lip balm?

dry, chapped, peeling
biting, picking at annoying bits of skin
cracking, bleeding, yick!


Chap Stick has made a mint off this pitiful condition.


I've blamed winter and cold weather for the present state of my lips (I'm certain it can't be from kissing my husband too much; since I intentionally practice that habit year round.), but I have been informed that those environmental factors only contribute to the real culprit: dehydration.

A surface solution of "adding moisture" should solve the problem, right?
Then why does licking lips only make matters worse?

When dehydration is the problem, renewal of moisture needs to come from the inside. Chap Stick cannot rehydrate or heal chapped lips, but it can provide temporary relief.  Unlike water or saliva, it aids healing by forming a protective surface over the lips that will not  evaporate and keeps moisture in, thus preventing further damage from a dry or windy environment.

-------

There's another lip-problem in this house.

bickering
arguing
squabbling
name-calling


an under-lying strife seems to be brewing

This past week I've been dealing with surface issues, and we're still licking our wounds. Like chapped lips in winter weather, some might say this is just ordinary sibling rivalry or animosity; it will pass with time, as seasons change.

Ordinary? yes.
As ordinary as the selfish sin-nature we all have.
Passing? nope.
Disguised in more socially acceptable behaviors as they age? maybe.

What's the cause?

"What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you? You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God." James 4:1-2

She wants attention.
He wants to be left alone.
He wants his brother's toy.
He doesn't want to share.

What do I want?

peace and quiet!!!!

Lord, hollerin' at my young-ins won't change their hearts any more than lickin' my lips will heal my kisser. You said, "I do not have because I do not ask." God, I want more than quiet; I want harmony. I want more than the absence of quarreling; I want laughter and words of compassion. Lord, heal our hard, dry selfish hearts. Pour in Your love till they overflow with tender words on our lips."

Thank You, God, for bringing this to my attention and reminding me of Your scripture-prescription for what ails us.

-------

FYI -

Here are the Mayo-Clinic's suggestions for chapped lips:
1. protect your lips (Chap Stick)
2. avoid licking your lips
3. stay hydrated
4. avoid allergens (cosmetics)
5. breathe through your nose

BTW -
The mouth speaks from the over-flow of the heart; so here are a few of God's tips for dealing with the real issues of our other lip problem:
1. guard your heart (Pr. 4:23)
2. avoid unkind words (Eph. 4:29)
3. stay filled with the Spirit (Gal. 5:22-23)
4. avoid those who would wish to quarrel (Pr.20:3)
5. listen through your ears and take a few deep breaths before you speak (James 1:19)