Pages

Not Too Proud To Beg

She doesn't want her dinner.
The meal is over, and there she sits. Nibbling and picking.

Our puppy knows where the crumbs fall. He patiently sits at her feet. Waiting.
And I am reminded...

Matthew 15 (NIV 1984)
A Canaanite woman ... came to him, crying out, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me!"

...His disciples came to him and urged him, "Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us."

He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel."

The woman came and knelt before him. "Lord, help me!" she said.

He replied, "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs."


"Yes, Lord," she said, "but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table."

Then Jesus answered, "Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted."




I am a Gentile clinging to the words of Christ and the Old Testament promises that include me.

I want to be like this woman of great faith. I echo what Peter said when Christ asked his disciples if they would leave Him like so many others that were offended by His teaching. "Where else would I go? You alone have the words of life!"( John 6)

He sits there so patiently... waiting, waiting, waiting to vacuum up the tiniest yummy bit of her supper; and so I hang of His every word. I am desperate for Him. I know that my wisdom and all the commentary of men is like dog-food compared to pork-chops and peas or steak and potatoes.

Luke 10 (NIV 1984)
Jesus... came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made...

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.

In His presence.
Sitting at His feet.
Seeking Him.
Finding Him... to be everything I need.

Sunday sermons, devotionals, Bible study groups... so many ways to be fed, but all these are "fast food" and "snacks". They'll do in a pinch and tide me over for a bit... but, nothing can substitute for the table He sets before me.

Oh, wonderful, merciful Savior! There is no one like You!
Sweet Spirit, comforting, counseling, teaching, guiding.
Father, Creator, Sustainer of Life.
I desire You, Your Words, above all else.

I am poor in spirit. I hunger and thirst for righteousness.
Fill me. Feed me.
I am not too proud to beg.

No comments:

Post a Comment