Pages

a good night for sleep


how helpless, defenseless, vulnerable we are when we sleep

the oldest, wisest
strongest, bravest of men
become boys when they rest

the whole house silent,
we would startle to wake...

who is watching?
protecting?

keeping company with the sick and listless, bed-weary soul?
...with the exhausted mother and nursing child?

God Himself is near... companion, guardian, protector.

my pillow, sheets, blankets call me...
pull me away from this world,
drift off from cares and responsibilities
to dreams, to other lands, other times

in the dark, He sees all

"In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat--for He grants sleep to those He loves." Psalm 127:2

tossing turning? no, not me.
He gives me rest; He gives me sleep.

"The Lord is thy keeper, the shade at thy right hand...
Indeed He who watches Israel will neither slumber nor sleep..."
Psalm 121

long day is done, and I am at peace.

He watches over me; He watches over the earth...
all night, around the world, continual night and day

"God is in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning wrote.
ditto, and amen.

resting in the care of Sovereignty; goodnight indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment